Please note: This is for information only.
Refer to local guidelines for treatment recommendations
- Bacteriostatic for most organisms; bactericidal to H influenzae.
- Usual adult dose: 50mg/kg/day in 4 divided doses
- Can be given IV, IM or orally.
- Absorption unpredictable following IM administration.
- Renally excreted therefore reduce dose if renal impairment.
- Causes serious blood dyscrasias which may be fatal therefore use restricted.
- Penetrates well into CSF and tissue.
- Microbiology or infectious diseases advice only (IV and PO formulations).
- Used topically for empirical treatment of eye infections.
Active against most strains of:
- H influenzae
- Streptococus pneumoniae
- Salmonella spp including S typhi
Not active against most strains of: