Please note: This is for information only.
Refer to local guidelines for treatment recommendations
Co-trimoxazole = sulphamethoxazole + trimethoprim.
- Usual adult treatment dose: 120mg/kg/day in 4 divided doses
- Usual adult prophylaxis dose: up to 960mg bd, 3 times per week.
- Can be given IV or orally
- Renally excreted therefore reduce dose if renal impairment.
- Reserved for the treatment and prevention of PCP and toxoplasmosis due to serious adverse effects (Stevens-Johnson syndrome, blood dyscrasias).
- Penetrates well into CSF and tissue.
- PCP – treatment and prophylaxis
- Toxoplasmosis – treatment and prophylaxis
Active against most strains of:
- Pneumocystis carinii
- Staphylococcus aureus – including MRSA
- Escherichia coli
- Klebsiella spp
- Other Coliforms
- Stenotrophomonas maltophilia
Not active against most strains of:
- Strep pneumoniae