Please note: This is for information only.
Refer to local guidelines for treatment recommendations
- A penicillinase resistant penicillin
- Excellent fasting oral availability (>90%); absorption reduced by food therefore take on an empty stomach.
- Excellent tissue penetration
- Usual adult oral dose 500mg – 1g qds
- For severe infections, 2g qds IV
- Dose reduction maybe necessary in severe renal failure
- 1st line antibiotic for all methicillin susceptible S. aureus (MSSA) infections (more efficacious than vancomycin against MSSA)
- Empirical single agent treatment of wound infections and cellulitis where MRSA is NOT suspected
Active against most strains of:
- Methicillin sensitive Staphylococcus aureus (i.e. NOT MRSA)
- ß- haemolytic streptococci
Not active against most strains of:
- Most coagulase negative staphylococci