Please note: This is for information only.
Refer to local guidelines for treatment recommendations.
- Gram-positive bacillus
- Main pathogen is Listeria monocytogenes
- Mainly effects pregnant women, neonates and immunocompromised patients.
- Environmental organism which can multiply at refrigeration temperatures and therefore, patēs, cooked chilled food, coleslaw and soft cheeses can be contaminated with this organism.
Main clinical infections:
- In neonates main clinical manifestations are sepsis and meningitis.
- In immunocompromised and the elderly it can cause meningitis.
Usually sensitive to:
- Amoxicillin (aminoglycoside works synergistically)
- Penicillin (aminoglycoside works synergistically)
Usually resistant to: