Please note: This is for information only.
Refer to local guidelines for treatment recommendations.
- An imidazole antibiotic
- Active against anaerobes and some protozoa
- Excellent oral absorption
- Excellent penetration into tissues including the brain
- Adjust dose in severe renal impairment
- IV preparation should only be used where the oral route is not available
- Surgical prophylaxis
- Treatment in combination for abdominal infections
- Treatment in combination for likely anaerobic infection eg abdominal / pelvic collection, brain abscess
- 1st line treatment of Clostridium difficile associated diarrhoea.
- 1st line treatment for protozoal infection eg giardia, trichomonas, amoebic infection
Active against most strains of:
- Anaerobic bacteria
- Protozoa – Giardia sp, Trichomonas vaginalis,
- Helicobacter pylori
- Clostridium difficile
Not active against: