Please note: This is for information only.
Refer to local guidelines for treatment recommendations
- A nitrofuran antibiotic used orally only
- Good oral absorption (94%) but poor serum and tissue levels obtained.
- Tissue concentrations are too low for this antibiotic to be useful in systemic infections, including pyelonephritis.
- Rapidly excreted in urine where it’s antibacterial effect is employed.
- Usual adult dose 50mg qds (increased to 100mg qds in severe chronic recurrent infection)
- Uncomplicated urinary tract Infections
- Prophylaxis of recurrent cystitis (low dose)
Active against most strains of:
- Most urinary coliforms e.g. E.coli
- Not active against most strains of:
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa
- Proteus spp