Please note: This is for information only.
Refer to local guidelines for treatment recommendations
- A diaminopyrmidine antibiotic.
- Folate antagonist – long term use can cause blood disorders.
- Usual adult treatment dose: 200mg twelve hourly orally.
- Dosage adjustment necessary in renal impairment.
- Reaches high concentrations in the lungs, kidneys and cerebrospinal fluid.
- Contraindicated in pregnancy.
- No IV preparation available.
- First line for uncomplicated urinary tract infections
- Active against most strains of:
- Staphylococcus aureus – including MRSA
- Escherichia coli
- Klebsiella spp
Not active against most strains of:
- Strep pneumoniae