Oncology Patient Information
FOCUS Cancer Information and Support Centre
Oncology Outpatients Department
Cheltenham General Hospital
Open Monday - Friday 08.30 - 16.30
The Cancer Information Centre is largely funded by charitable donations made to the FOCUS fund. The Centre is situated in the main Oncology Outpatients area and is next to the WRVS coffee shop. The Centre is open from 08.30 hrs until 16.30 hrs Monday to Friday. We encourage informal drop-in’s but are happy to make appointments to meet with people if they prefer. If you would like to book a specific appointment time please call on 0300 422 4414 (or leave a message on the answer phone out of opening hours).
Who is it for?
The centre is for all patients with cancer and for those who care for them.
What does it cost?
All leaflets and information is provided free charge.
What type of information will I be able to find?
Macmillan CancerBackup, booklets, DVD’s and CD’s about various cancers and their treatments. We also have a small lending library with books on a wide variety of cancers and their treatments.
We have a list of travel insurance companies who will offer quotes to people with a cancer diagnosis, all recommended by patients.
Details of local B&B’s, convenient for the hospital, are also available.
We have lists of local and national support networks for site-specific cancers and many cancer-related Helpline cards to take away.
Information Prescriptions are available at the Centre. For further details please click here.
What else is on offer?
- Look Good..Feel Better – Monthly beauty workshops for women having treatment for cancer. Expert advice and a generous gift bag of cosmetics to take home.
- Complementary Therapies for patients only : massage, reflexology, aromatherapy, Reiki, Indian Head massage and relaxation therapy available from fully-qualified volunteers on Wednesday and Friday. Six free sessions are available for each patient.
- Macmillan benefits advisor service.
- Free “personal folders” for patients.
- Access to counselling and clinical psychology service.
- Wig information and advisory service. Wig care products stocked.
- NHS wig prescription service and we have a weekly wig clinic on Tuesdays. Private patients are also very welcome to attend this clinic.
- We provide a list of NHS wig suppliers in all areas of the country.
- We also offer for sale a range of attractive headwear (hats, scarves, turbans) for people experiencing hair loss due to treatment.
- We sell anti-nausea organic sweets
- Greetings cards are available.
- Nearly-new paperbacks and DVD’s for sale. There is also a BookSwap scheme to recycle your used books in the waiting areas.
What we cannot do
We cannot offer clinical advice but we can help you to make a list of things you may wish to discuss with your doctor or other health professional.
What if we can’t help you?
If we do not have an immediate answer we can put you in touch with someone else who may be able to help you.
For Further Information
Pleasae contact Yvonne Kimber (Manager).
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel : 0300 422 4414