Our Children's Services are led by Dr Ewoud Vorstman and Modern Matron's Karen Tomasino and Joanne Harvey who are responsible for both hospital and community-based services for children and neonates (very young babies) across the country.
The service is made up of:
- Children's inpatient and outpatient care
- Neonatal Unit based at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital
- Specialist nursing service
- Community Paediatric Medical Team
Our philosophy of care
The staff will strive to provide the highest standard of care possible for children, adolescents and their families.
- With full explanations and support, we wish to develop a partnership of care with parents and children making informed choices and playing an active part in their care
- We constantly endeavour to create a happy, safe, friendly environment, offering activities for all ages and ability and so reducing the fears associated with a clinical setting
- Open communication between a large multi-disciplinary team enables all aspects of the child and families’ well-being to be cared for. This will encompass their physical, psychological, emotional, social and spiritual needs
- Each child and family are seen as individuals, with their own experiences and expectations. These shall be met with respect and flexibility in accordance with current guidelines
- Continuous training and updating ensures staff are appropriately qualified and motivated to deliver up-to-date care and professionalism
- We aim to make the stay in hospital as enjoyable as possible, maintain and improve quality of life, promote independence and aid the transition home again
Read more about our services in our Patient Information Leaflets (click on the 'Paediatrics' heading in the table)
Welcome to the Children's Ward Video