BK Virus (Polyomavirus)
- BK virus is detected by PCR.
- Tested following specific request.
- Often associated with deterioration in renal function in immunocompromised patients, e.g. following renal transplant.
- For initial testing send both urine and EDTA samples.
- Follow up EDTA samples are required for patients with positive results, as indicated in the reference laboratory report.
- Relevant clinical details
Store at fridge temperature
Transport as soon as possible at ambient temperature
Samples are sent to the Regional Reference Centre
Up to 7 days
Page last reviewed: 28/08/2014