- Suitable types of line: venous and arterial long lines, PICC lines, tunnelled central lines (e.g. Groshong)
- Unsuitable types of line: peripheral venous cannulae
- Routine culture of line tips is not indicated in the absence of clinical features of line infection.
- If line-associated bacteraemia is suspected, then peripheral and line blood cultures should also be sent
- Type of line
- Clinical features of sepsis
- If patient is on TPN
- Recent, current and intended antibiotics
Store and transport at room temperature. Samples should be transported to the laboratory with minimal delay.
2 - 3 days
Page last reviewed: 28/01/2014