Cheltenham Exercise Schemes
The Cheltenham Trust provides many health promotion schemes in Cheltenham
Many of the exercise schemes are explained in this downloadable Cheltenham's Health & Wellbeing Booklet and they include:
Re-Active physical activity referral scheme
Re-Active is Cheltenham Borough Council and NHS Gloucestershire's physical activity referral scheme. The 12 week programme of physical activity is available by referral by a health professional, such as a GP or practice nurse. Activities available through the scheme include leisure@cheltenham facilities:
Exercise classes at the Leisure@Cheltenham gym, including classes designed specifically for the over 50's including:
- Active Bodies 50+ and Gentle Aerobics 50+ Low impact exercise classes for over 50's which helps to mobilise joints and muscles as well as improve strength, balance and co-ordination.
- Aqua 50+ Water-based aerobics for men and women over the age of 50
- Pilates 50 + Focuses on the core postural muscles providing support for the spine which can help to alleviate back pain.
More information available at http://www.leisureatcheltenham.com/classes/
A timetable of exercise classes can be found at http://www.leisureatcheltenham.com/timetables/
Active Balance classes for over 50's
- Active Balance exercise classes are aimed at those who are at risk of falling as well as those who have had a fall. They are gentle exercise to music classes, some of which are chair based to help strengthen co-ordination and balance, improve flexibility and movement.
- Classes cost between £2.50 - £4.00 depending on the location. Tea and coffee is also included so that there is an opportunity for socialisation.
- Details of where the classes are run and who to contact can be found on this downladable leaflet, or by contacting the Healthy Lifestyles Development Officer at The Cheltenham Trust on 01242-775202.
Walk Well - health walks programme
Walk Well Cheltenham is our health walks programme which aims to encourage people to be more active through walking and has been developed with the Walking the Way to Health initiative which is supported by the British Heart Foundation and Natural England. The programme is available to anyone in the borough.
More information available at
Parkrun organise free, weekly, 5km timed runs in Cheltenham. They are open to everyone, free, and are safe and easy to take part in.
For more information please visit: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/cheltenham/