Our Physiotherapy Services
What is Physiotherapy?
"Physiotherapy helps restore movement and function to as near normal as possible when someone is affected by injury, illness or by developmental or other disability".
Chartered Society of Physiotherapy
Physiotherapists offer specialist assessment and treatment for a wide range of problems working with people to promote their own health and wellbeing.
All Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Physiotherapists are registered with the Health Professions Council, the regulatory body for Allied Health Professionals.
Inpatient and Outpatient services are provided at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital and Cheltenham General Hospital.
Physiotherapists provide assessment, treatment and management for a wide range of problems associated with different systems of the body;
musculoskeletal (muscles, joints, bones and soft tissues)
neuromuscular (brain and nervous system)
cardiovascular and respiratory (heart lungs and circulation)
The physiotherapy service normally operates between 0830 - 1630 Monday to Friday at Cheltenham General Hospital and Gloucestershire Royal Hospital. In addition there is a weekend service for patients undergoing elective orthopaedic surgery and a 24 hour emergency respiratory on call service.
The Physiotherapy Team offers treatment for problems including: -
- Musculoskeletal Conditions: This includes problems with muscles, joints, tendons, discs, nerves and bones for example in the back or neck, shoulders, elbows, hips, knees and feet.
- Surgical and non-surgical conditions of the wrist and hand
- Rheumatological conditions (e.g Rheumatoid Arthritis)
- Women’s and Men's Health: This includes musculoskeletal problems during and after pregnancy, bladder conditions, bowel conditions, pelvic organ prolapse, pelvic pain and problems following treatment for breast cancer e.g. shoulder stiffness or cording
- Bell’s (facial) palsy
- Vestibular disorders (poor balance and dizziness)
- Respiratory conditions
- Neurological conditions (eg. Parkinson’s Disease, multiple sclerosis)
- Falls Prevention and Management Service
For more information use this visit our musculo-skeletal physiotherapy pages.
Information for undergraduate physiotherapy students on placement at the Trust.