The Lung Function Service is provided by a team of respiratory physiologists, practitioners and administrative staff. We perform breathing tests and oxygen assessments for people with respiratory diseases. We work at both Gloucestershire Royal Hospital and Cheltenham General Hospital.
Please look at our 'What to expect when attending for a Lung Function Test' page for information regarding your appointment.
Tests we perform
- Spirometry and Flow Volume Loops to measure airflow through the airways.
- Full Lung Function Tests to measure airflow, capacity and efficiency of the lungs.
- Bronchodilator Reversibility Tests to assess the response to medications e.g. Salbutamol and/or Ipratropium Bromide.
- Long Term Oxygen Therapy Assessment to determine whether/how much supplementary oxygen is required to maintain acceptable blood gas levels. This involves a small sample of blood taken from the earlobe.
- Fit to Fly Assessment to assess requirement for supplementary oxygen during flight.
- Respiratory Muscle Weakness Tests to determine the strength of the diaphragm and other muscles involved during breathing.
- Cardio-pulmonary Exercise Tests to investigate how your breathing, heart and lungs respond to exercise.
- Pharmachological Bronchial Challenge Testing to assess the hyperreactivity of the airways.
- Expired fraction of Nitric Oxide to measure the level of inflammation of the airways.
- Piko Tests to investigate occupational asthma.
You need to be referred by your GP to see a hospital consultant, then the consultant will decide whether lung function tests are required.
How to contact us
Head of Department: Beverley Gray
Opening times: Monday: 8am - 5pm
Tuesday: 8am - 5pm
Wednesday: 8am - 5pm
Thursday: 8am - 7pm
Friday: 8am - 3pm
Telephone numbers: Gloucestershire Royal Hospital: 0300 422 6819
Cheltenham General Hospital: 0300 422 4313
An answerphone is available outside of opening hours and also during busy times when we are not available to answer the phone, if you leave a message we will endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible.
How to find us
Gloucestershire Royal Hospital: We are located within the Clinical Investigations unit on the ground floor. From the main entrance follow the signs for 'Imaging 1 and Clinical Investigations'. This will guide you along the corridor between the two shops, enter through the doors and turn left into waiting area B. Located here is the intercom system, in order to inform the department of your arrival please press number 5 and wait for a response.
Cheltenham General Hospital: We have moved from West Block to Level two of College Road Wing. We are directly above the Emergency Department.
For more guidance please see the Hospital maps, but please be aware our new location in Cheltenham has not yet been updated on the map. Please leave adequate time for parking when visiting either hospital.