Hot Clinic and Telephone Help Line
The Respiratory service at Gloucester Royal Hospital have launched an innovative new service that enables patients to be seen by a Respiratory Consultant within 24hours of referral and avoid the patient having to be admitted to hospital.
Referrals to the service can be made from;
- GP practices
- Emergency Departments, Unscheduled Care Units, Ambulatory Emergency Care units and Outpatient departments at Gloucester Royal and Cheltenham General Hospitals
- Minor Injuries units at Stroud, Cirencester, Vale, North Cotswolds, Tewkesbury, The Dilke and Lydney Hospitals
- Community Respiratory Team
Patients with the following conditions can be referred for Respiratory review at the Hot Clinic which is being run at AEC, Gloucester Royal Hospital;
- Exacerbations of COPD/Bronchiectasis
- Poorly controlled but not acutely severe asthma
- Non severe pneumonia
- Chest infection
- Pleural effusion
Patients need to be referred by 12 midday in order to be seen the same day, if they are referred after this time they will be booked in for the following day. GP's and Community Services can refer patients by faxing the referral form to the Ambulatory Day Unit at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital on; 0300 422 6615. If the referrer has any queries regarding this process they can contact the Ambulatory Emergency Care team on 0300 422 6677.
The clinic is not suitable for patients that are acutely unwell (suspected sepsis/respiratory failure), patients who are non-ambulatory, those that will require additional social support during and after their illness, patients that have a non-respiratory cause for their breathlessness and those that would be suitable to have a normal urgent outpatient referral.
In addition to this the on call Respiratory Consultant can be contacted via the Hospital Switchboard if a GP or Community Service Clinician has concerns regarding a patient's condition or treatment.