Navigation for Departments

Chronic pelvic pain

Chronic pelvic pain needs to be thoroughly investigated.  A specialist doctor e.g. gynaecologist, urologist or pain consultant may recommend physiotherapy as part of a multi discplinary management approach.  It can be attributed to a problem with the nerves or muscles in the pelvic floor.


What can our women’s or men’s health physiotherapist offer you?

Assessment :

We give time to listen to you, in order to understand your individual condition and the problems it causes and how it is affecting your life.



We examine you thoroughly to form an opinion on diagnosis. We discuss our findings with you and how the condition may best be treated.


Advice and information:

We will offer you advice and information about your condition, especially in regards to how you can help yourself manage your condition better.


Treatment choices and shared decisions:

We will discuss your treatment options and we will make decisions together forming an individual plan to suit your condition, your choices and your needs in order to help this problem.

The treatment may include:   

  • Exercises  to stretch and relax your pelvic floor muscles and other muscles surrounding your pelvis.
  • Mobilisations, massage and manipulations - movements we or you can apply to joints or muscles and tissues.
  • Relaxation strategies


How can I see a Women's and Men's Health Physiotherapist?